Cartellate are typical Apulian sweets usually prepared during the Christmas season. They are kind if little jagged ribbons covered with cooked wine or wine of figs.
- 1 kg flour
- 200 g olive oil
- 200 g white wine
- Frying oil
- Icing sugar
- Chopped chocolate
- Mix wine and olive oil together and heat them up over low heat, add a pinch of salt.
- Add flour using a strainer and mix well.
- Work the mixture with your hand and let it stand for about an hour.
- Roll out the dough and cut in strip of 2 cm.
- Fold each strip in half and close with your fingers every 4 cm, then fold the strip on itself to form a circle making sure to close well with your fingers so that it does not open.
- Let stand overnight.
- Heat plenty of oil for frying and cook cartellate a bit at a time until brown in colour.
- Heat the mulled wine and soak cartellate for a few minutes making sure they get wet from all sides.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar, cinnamon and pieces of chocolate.
- Cover with some more vincotto and serve.
Try again alter
Mediterranean cuisine. Recipes from Puglia
Simple, quick and healthy recipes from the Mediterranean cuisine of the Puglia region of Italy. All recipes with full screen photos to guide and facilitate each stage of the preparation. Buy now and by just updating the book get new added recipes for free.