Pasticciotto leccese is a sweet pastry filled with cream and cooked in the oven. It is a typical sweet of the Salento area, south of Puglia. Here you can find it in any bakery or patisserie.
For the pastry
- 1/2 kg flour
- 250 g butter
- 250 g sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 15 g vanilla
- 3 g ammonia powder for cakes
- Some milk
- Oval shaped moulds
For the custard
- 1 litre whole milk
- 380 g sugar
- 190 g flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 15 g vanilla
Preparation of pastry
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar and mix well.
- Add, one at a time soft butter, flour, salt, vanilla and ammonia dissolved in a some warm milk.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
Preparation of custard cream
- Heat the milk with the vanilla.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and add the flour a bit at a time.
- Slowly pour hot milk.
- Cook over low heat until you have a thick cream. When ready remove from heat and let cool.
- Roll out the pastry and cut it in small oval shapes, one slightly bigger.
- Place the bigger ones in the buttered moulds.
- Fill with pastry cream.
- Cover them with the smaller ones and seal them securely.
- Brush them with egg yolk.
- Bake at 220 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Try again alter
Mediterranean cuisine. Recipes from Puglia
Simple, quick and healthy recipes from the Mediterranean cuisine of the Puglia region of Italy. All recipes with full screen photos to guide and facilitate each stage of the preparation. Buy now and by just updating the book get new added recipes for free.