Zeppole di San Giuseppe
These Apulian cakes are usually prepared the day of St. Joseph, the day of Father's Day. They have a shape similar to a large doughnut, fried in oil and filled with custard.
For the pastry
- 500 g flour
- 600 ml water
- 7 eggs
- A knob of butter
- A pinch of salt
- 70 g powdered sugar
- Oil for deep frying
For the custard cream
- 1 litre whole milk
- 380 g sugar
- 190 g flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 15 g vanilla
Preparation of custard cream
- Heat milk with vanilla.
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar and add the flour a bit at a time.
- Slowly pour hot milk.
- Cook over low heat until you have a thick cream. When ready remove from heat and let cool down.
Preparation of pastry
- Put in a saucepan water, butter, a pinch of salt and the icing sugar. Bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Remove from heat and add the flour all at once and stir well.
- Put on the heat and keep mixing until you have a smooth cream. Remove from heat, place it in a bowl and let it cool down.
- Add the eggs one at a time. Make sure each egg blends well with the mixture before adding another.
- Put the dough in a pastry bag with a spout of 25 mm.
- Form the zeppole in the form of doughnuts on a lightly oiled kitchen foil.
- Prepare two pots: one with warm oil and another with hot oil.
- Cook them one a the time in warm oil for a few minutes and then in hot oil until they are slightly coloured.
- Let them dry on paper towels.
- Fill each zeppola with the custard.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
Try again alter
Mediterranean cuisine. Recipes from Puglia
Simple, quick and healthy recipes from the Mediterranean cuisine of the Puglia region of Italy. All recipes with full screen photos to guide and facilitate each stage of the preparation. Buy now and by just updating the book get new added recipes for free.