San Giovanni Rotondo
San Giovanni Rotondo is a small town on the Gargano promontory. The area was already inhabited during the prehistoric era, but today's town was founded only in the XI century on an area rich in fresh water springs.
The town was in the hands of the Benedictine until the 1220 when they handed it over the Normans who, during Frederick II, built the defensive walls.
San Giovanni Rotondo is a famous centre for pilgrims who venerate the miracle-working friar Padre Pio. The town has an interesting church with a convent called Santa Maria delle Grazie.
San Giovanni Rotondo tourist information
Piazza Europa, 104
Towns in Puglia