PugliaA place to discover and enjoy

Extra Virgin Olive Oil Collina di Brindisi

Extra Virgin Olive Oil Collina di Brindisi

 

DOP - Protected Designation of Origin

Place of Origin

Brindisi

 

The extra virgin olive oil Collina di Brindisi PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) is produced in the territories of the towns of Ostuni, Fasano, Carovigno, Cisternino, San Vito dei Normanni, Ceglie, San Michele Salentino and Villa Castelli, all the province of Brindisi.

The cultivation and production of this olive oil was introduced by the Basilian monks who settled in the area in the 8th century. They also excavated the numerous hypogeum oil mills spread throughout all around the territory.

The Collina di Brindisi olive oil is mainly made with the Ogliarola olive variety, which must account for at least 70% of the total. The remaining 30% may consist of other varieties such as Cellina, Nardò, Coratina, Leccino, Frantoio and other common varieties of the territory.

 

The production of this olive oil must meet certain requirements:

- the interval of time between harvesting and milling should not exceed 48 hours;
- pressing of the product must be carried out using conventional crusher grinders with wheels down; other types of mills can be used but the temperature of the dough must never exceed that of the room;
- after pressing, the dough must be worked at a temperature not exceeding 28 degrees;
- the dough must be subjected to cold extraction processes;
- the oil must be stored in stainless steel tanks or concrete water coated fibreglass tanks.
- the final product must not have an acidity higher then 0.8%.

The characteristics of Collina di Brindisi olive oil are those of an oil with a green-yellow colour, aromatic, fruity with slight herbal notes, slightly bitter and spicy. The taste is sweet with hints of almonds and pine nuts.

Pairing

Collina di Brindisi olive oil is suitable for all dishes, from meat to fish and vegetables. It is also suitable for the preparation of pastries.