PugliaA place to discover and enjoy

Extra Virgin Olive Oil Dauno

Extra Virgin Olive Oil Dauno

 

DOP - Protected Designation of Origin

Place of Origin

Foggia

 

The Extra Virgin Olive Oil Dauno PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) is produced in the province of Foggia. The Dauno PDO designation must be accompanied by an additional geographic indication of origin of the product. There are four of them: Alto Tavoliere, Basso Tavoliere, Gargano and Sub-Apennino.

The additional geographical indication "Alto Tavoliere" is given to olive oil produced from Peranzana or Provenzale olive varieties which must account for a percentage of a least 80%, the remaining part can come from other varieties within the same zone. The territories concerned in the production of this olive oil are those of the towns of Castelnuovo della Daunia, Chieuti, San Paolo di Civitate, San Severo, Torremaggiore and Serracapriola.

The additional geographical indication "Basso Tavoliere" is given to extra virgin olive oil made with Coratina olive varieties which must account for no less then 70%, the remaining part of 30% may come from other varieties within the same zone.
The areas concerned in the production of this olive oil are those of Carapelle, Cerignola, Foggia, Manfredonia, Margherita di Savoia, Ordona, Ortanova, Rignano Garganico, San Ferdinando di Puglia, San Giovanni Rotondo, San Marco in Lamis, Stornara, Stornarella, Trinitapoli, Zapponeta.

The additional geographical indication "Gargano" is given to extra virgin olive oils that have a minimum of 70% of Ogliarola Garganica olive variety, which must account for not less than 70%. The remaining part can come from other varieties of same territory.
The areas concerned in the production of this olive oil are those of Apricena, Cagnano Varano, Carpino, Ischitella, Lesina, Manfredonia, Mattinata, Monte Sant'Angelo, Peschici, Poggio Imperiale, Rignano Garganico, Rodi Garganico, San Giovanni Rotondo, San Marco in Lamis, Sannicandro Garganico, Vico Gargano, Vieste.

The additional geographical indication 'Sub-Apennino' is given to extra virgin olive oils Olgiarola, Coratina and Rotondella olive varieties which must account, alone or together, for a total percentage not less than 70%. The remaining part can come from other varieties of the territory.
The areas concerned in the production of this olive oil are those of Accadia, Alberona, Anzano di Puglia, Ascoli Satriano, Biccari, Bovino, Candela, Carlantino, Casalnuovo Monterotaro, Casalvecchio di Puglia, Castelnuovo della Daunia, Castelluccio dei Sauri, Castelluccio Valmaggiore, Celenza Valfortore, Celle S.Vito, Deliceto, Faeto, Lucera, Monteleone di Puglia, Motta Montecorvino, Orsara di Puglia, Panni, Pietra Montecorvino, Rocchetta S. Antonio, Roseto Valfortore, S. Marco la Catola, S. Agata di Puglia, Troia, Volturara Appula, Volturino.

 

The production of this olive oil must meet the following requirements:

- olives must be harvested by 31 January;
- harvesting must take place directly from the trees;
- the interval of time between harvesting and milling must not be more than 3 days;
- olive oil extraction can only be carried out with mechanical processes which are capable of producing olive oil without affecting its characteristics;
- the maximum acidity can not exceed 0.6%.

The extra virgin olive oil Dauno with geographical indication "Alto Tavoliere" has a green-yellow colour, a fruity smell with slight touches of fresh fruit and sweet almond. The taste is sweet.

The extra virgin olive oil Dauno with geographical indication "Basso Tavoliere" is an oil with a colour between green and yellow, fruity at the nose and a slightly spicy and bitter taste.

The extra virgin olive oil Dauno with geographical indication "Gargano" is an olive oil with a yellow-green colour, a fruity aroma with herbaceous sensations. The taste is fruity with a sensation of almond.

The extra virgin olive oil Dauno with geographical indication "Sub-Apennino" is an olive oil with a colour between green and yellow, with a fruity aroma with touches of fresh fruit and a sweet taste.

Pairing

The extra virgin olive oil Dauno "Alto Tavoliere" is a great raw olive oil to be used with dips or with raw vegetables. It pairs well with strong flavoured dishes.

The Dauno "Basso Tavoliere" is ideal as a condiment for pasta, soups, roasted or barbecued meat and cooked vegetables.

The Duano "Gargano" is an olive oil that pairs well with fish and shellfish dishes, vegetables, soups and on warm bread.

The PDO Dauno "Sub-Apennino" is often used for the preparation of sweet pastries or for frying.