PugliaA place to discover and enjoy

Extra virgin Olive Oil Terre di Bari

Extra virgin Olive Oil Terre di Bari

 

DOP - Protected Designation of Origin

Place of Origin

Bari

 

The Extra Virgin Olive Oil Terre di Bari PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) is produced in the territories of the province of Bari. The name "Terre di Bari PDO" must be accompanied by the geographical indication of origin of the product. These are: "Castel del Monte", "Bitonto", "Murgia dei Trulli e delle Grotte".

The additional geographical indication "Castel del Monte" is given to extra virgin olive oil produced with a minimum percentage of 80% of Coratina olive variety. Other varieties, for a maximum of 20%, may come from olive varieties of the same territory.
The specific territories part of Castel del Monte geographical indication include Canosa, Minervino, Barletta, Andria, Corato, Trani, Bisceglie, Altamura, Poggiorsini, Gravina, Spinazzola.

The additional geographical indication "Bitonto" is given to extra virgin olive oil produced with Coratina, Ogliarola and Cima di Bitonto olive varieties, for a minimum 80%, alone or in combination. The remaining part, for no more than 20%, can come from other varieties from the same territory.
The territories involved in the production of the Bitonto geographical indication are Bitonto, Palo del Colle, Modugno, Giovinazzo, Molfetta, Ruvo, Terlizzi, Grumo, Bitetto, Bitritto, Bari, Binetto, Triggiano, Capurso, Santeramo, Toritto, Acquaviva, Cassano, Cellamare, Valenzano, Adelaide, Noicattaro, Sannicandro, Sammichele, Gioia del Colle.

The additional geographical indication "Murgia dei Trulli e delle Grotte" is given to extra virgin olive oil made using Cima di Mola olive variety, for a percentage of at least 50%. Can concur to its production other varieties produced in the same territory for a percentage not more than 50%.
The territories involved in the production of this geographical indication include Alberobello, Noci, Putignano, Castellana, Rutigliano, Turi, Conversano, Mola, Monopoli, Polignano, Locorotondo, Casamassima.

 

The production of this olive oil must to meet the following requirements:

- olives must be harvested by end of January;
- harvesting must take place directly from the trees;
- the interval of time between harvesting and milling should not exceed 48 hours;
- oil extraction can only be carried out with mechanical processes which are capable of producing oil without affecting its characteristics;
- the total maximum acidity may not exceed 0.5%, for the "Castel de Monte" and "Bitonto", and 0.6% for the "Murgia of Trulli and Grotte".

The extra virgin olive oil Terre di Bari with the geographical indication of "Castel del Monte" is an oil of green colour with yellow hues, fruity on the nose, with a sweet, bitter and spicy flavour.

The extra virgin olive oil Terre di Bari with the geographical indication "Bitonto" is yellow-green in colour, with a soft round fruity aroma. Its flavour has sensations of fresh herbs and hints of bitter and spice.

The extra virgin olive oil Terre di Bari with the geographical indication "Murgia dei Trulli e delle Grotte" is golden yellow in colour with green reflexes, a light fruity aroma, a sweet taste with hints of fresh almonds, and slightly spicy.

Pairing

The extra virgin olive oil Terre di Bari with the geographical indication of "Castel del Monte" is suitable for roasts, vegetable soups, meat rolls, bruschetta, vegetables au gratin, bagels and cookies.

The extra virgin olive oil Terre di Bari with the geographical indication "Bitonto" is suitable for salads, soups, grilled meats, sauces, soups, beans, fries, meat and vegetable dishes, pies.

The extra virgin olive oil Terre di Bari with the geographical indication "Murgia dei Trulli e delle Grotte" is suitable for vegetables, fish soups, stews, roasts, boiled fish, fried vegetables.