PugliaA place to discover and enjoy

Leverano

Leverano

 

DOP - Protected Designation of Origin

Place of Origin

Leverano (Lecce)

 

The Leverano DOP (Protected Designation of Origin) wine is produced in the territory of the town of Leverano.

The Rosso, Rosato and Novello varieties of this wine are made with at least 50% of Negroamaro grapes, and with a maximum of 40%, alone or together, of Malvasia Nera di Lecce, Montepulciano and Sangiovese grapes. Other varieties can concur for a max of 30%.

Leverano Negroamaro Rosato and Negroamaro Rosso must have at least 86% of Negroamaro grapes. A version called 'Superiore' must have a minimum of 90% of Negroamaro grapse and must have matured over a period of at least two years.

Leverano Bianco, Passito and Dolce Naturale are made with Malvasia Bianca grapes, at least 50%, together with Vermentino grapes, max of 40%, and with other varieties for a maximum of 15%.

Other versions of Leverano DOP can be made with Chardonnay, Fiano and Malvasia Bianca grapes, for at least 85% of the total, with the remaining 15%, of other local grapes.

Leverano Rosso is produced also in the 'Riserva' version which is of two types: Leverano Rosso and Leverano Negroamaro Rosso. Both must be aged a least two years, six of which in wooden casks.

Main grape varieties used to make Leverano DOP:

 

Leverano Rosso, Rosso Riserva and Rosato are wines with a harmonious and dry flavour, and a pleasant and distinctive aroma. Leverano Rosso Novello has a fruity bouquet and a dry and pleasant taste.

Leverano Bianco is a wine with a delicate bouquet and a dry and harmonious flavour. Passito Bianco and Leverano Bianco Dolce Naturale have a velvety flavour and are pleasantly sweet.

Leverano Rosso Negroamaro is a full-bodied velvety wine with a dry flavour; while the Negroamaro Rosso Superiore and Riserva are more robust, warm and harmonious.

Leverano Rosso should be drunk at 18 degrees.

Leverano Bianco must be served at a temperature between 10 and 12 degrees.

Leverano Rosato is served at a temperature between 12 and 14 degrees.

Pairing

Leverano Rosso pairs well with meat sauces, grilled red meat, seasoned smoked salami and cheese.

Leverano Bianco should be served with fried fish, raw seafood and risotto with seafood.

The Leverano Rosato pairs well with baked pork and lamb, grilled red meats, omelettes and medium-aged cheeses.