PugliaA place to discover and enjoy

Lizzano

Lizzano

 

DOP - Protected Designation of Origin

Place of Origin

Lizzano (Lecce)

 

Lizzano DOP (Protected Designation of Origin) wine is produced inside a wide area along the Ionian side of Puglia. This includes the territories of the town of Lizzano, Faggiano and other areas in province of Taranto.

Lizzano comes manly in Rosso (red) version which is produced with Negroamaro grapes, for an amount that must be between 60% and 80% and, to a lesser extent, with Montepulciano, Sangiovese, Malvasia and Pinot Nero grapes. Other kind of grapes can also be used, such as Malvasia Nera di Brindisi and Malvasia Nera di Lecce, but for no more than 10%.

Lizzano Negroamaro must have a percentage of Negroamaro grapes for not less than 85%, with the remaining 15%, either alone or jointly, of Malvasia Nera di Brindisi, Malvasia Bianca di Lecce, Montelpulciano. Pinot Nero and Sangiovese grapes.

Lizzano Bianco is produced with Trebbiano grapes, for a percentage between 40% and 60%, with Chardonnay and Pinot Bianco grapes, at least 30%, or Malvasia Bianca, up 10%, Alessano Bianco and Sauvignon Bianco grapes for a maximum of 25%.

Lizzano Malvasia Nera DOP must contain Malvasia grapes from an amount not less than 85%, with Negroamaro, Montepulciano, Sangiovese and Pinot Nero grapes, alone or together, for a max of 15%.

Main grape varieties used to make Lizzano DOP:

 

Lizzano Rosso and Lizzano Negroamaro Rosso wines are dry harmonious wines with a distinctive flavour.

Lizzano Malvasia Nera has a slightly aromatic fragrance and a velvety and dry flavour.

Lizzano DOP Bianco is a wine with a pleasant and delicate bouquet, and a dry, balanced and fresh taste. Lizzano Bianco Spumante has a fresh and harmonious flavour.

Lizzano DOP Rosato is a wine with a dry, fresh and harmonious flavour, and a pleasant and distinctive aroma. Lizzano Negroamaro Rosato has a fragrant odour and a dry and delicate flavour.

Lizzano Negroamaro DOP should be drunk at a temperature of 18 degrees.

Lizzano Malvasia Nera DOP should be served at a temperature between 16 and 18 degrees.

Lizzano Bianco DOP is served at a temperature between 10 and 12 degrees.

Lizzano Rosato DOP is served at a temperature between 12 and 14 degrees.

Pairing

Lizzano Negroamaro DOP pairs well with beef courses.

The Malvasia Nera DOP version pairs well with white meat and seasoned cheese.

Bianco Lizzano DOP should be eaten with fish appetizers, pasta with tomato sauce and chicken salads.

Lizzano Rosato DOP pairs well with salami and rabbit meat dishes.